Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Dilemma . . . .An Update!

Work continues to be busy. Now I have a dilemma.

A few weeks ago, I was told that I was promoted. This way the organization can HIRE someone for the vacancy that I applied for. This was because I was ranked first and if they gave me THAT position, they would lose the billet. . . .. and we need people.
So, I am thrilled that the promotion went through.

However. . . . . .

I also applied for a position with a different organization. I received word yesterday that the organization had some logistic issues and had to revamp their announcement. They wanted to make sure that I was still interested. I heard through the grapevine that I ranked top of pile from a pretty big list. (The hiring pool must REALLY suck). Anyway, I am in a quandary as to what to do. There are pros and cons to this and I don't know what to do, should the OFFICIAL offer come across the street.

REASONS TO STAY
1. Now that I am promoted, I am happy here. The work is a pain in the ass. I have the nightmare of all nightmare contracts, but I handle it well enough that I got an "attaguy" a little while ago.
2. I comfortable here. My desk is set up better than most. I know the ins and outs of the organization, etc.
3. I know the people here and like several of them.
4. I get to work a 4 day, 10 hour schedule. Going requires that I work 9 hours days with on 8 hour Fri and 1 Friday off.
5. If I stay, I get to go to Alaska again in June.
6. I currently follow a different set of Goevrnment rules of Contracting and would have to learn the other.
7. Although they say no, my new boss would be in Washington and thus the fear of having the position move to DC looms.

REASONS TO GO
1. There is a promotion potential for the next level of pay within a year.
2. I don't know for sure, but the amount of work appears to be significantly lower.
3. I would be one of two Contracts people. Higher visibility.

What to do. . . What to do. . . . .
4. A change of scenery.

8 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

Don't forget that you said before that if you stayed you'd be on call, too.

If you have an inkling that a job is moving, well that usually does come true, no?

Overall, it is up to you. Have a good talk with your wife. Leave it for a few hours and bring a clear head to it. Sometimes overthinking causes a bit of stress of its own. I should know. That's all I do.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all of my career decisions have been decided by clear cut and simple rules. Drink some beer and use the magic eight-ball. Best of three decides your fate.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Deathlok said...

RT, okay I got a clear head (severed), now what do I do with it? Boy, I am stressed.

VA, How's that eight ball thing working for ya?

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger IHeartQuilting said...

I recommend you and Mrs D use the Rock, Paper, Scissors method. Winner decides the ultimate fate of the whole family.

But seriously - I think the biggest issue is would you be willing to move? That would be the deciding factor for me - All of the other issues can be worked out or dealt with.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger LBJ said...

I will tell you the difference between a 13 and a 14 after taxes is really nothing to write Mom about. Trust me on this one. And with the cost of living in DC. . you're in the negative. . why I'm in a Midwest field office. 2000 square foot custom house on a lake on one income.

The key points. I can speak from experience. Moving is stressful. I just did it, FULL government paid for, no kids at home, no spouse, no committment type boyfriend, gerbil, or long term magazine subscriptions and it was UBER stressful.

I have no regrets. . its the best field office I've done work with and I was seriously flattered they went to all the effort and perks to get me. But it's taken its toll emotionally.

Big points - uprooting your family, your wife, your kids (you'd have to move puzzle land). For what. . perhaps an easier work load, until yet the next J2E seminar and downsizing of resources and then you're back where you started (I think I'm still in trouble on the hill for doing a picture of the J2E2 vision, with R2D2, making a sarcastic comment).

It's not always greener. Go with your gut. Go with your wife's intuition. We redheads ARE smarter than average. .LOL. But whatever you decide. . Only the best for my fellow agent.

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate these kind of decisions! Good luck!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger zippychik said...

Dlok,
Just look at the list. You've got 5 pros to stay and only 3 pros to go. Recently I was where you are now. And I ended up leaving a job I liked for one that I absolutely love. But I didn't know that I would love the new job so much when I took it. All I can tell you is I know how hard a decision it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home