Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Books? I Read Books!

I find it funny reading Skywriter's inspirational writing about the list of books that she has a deep affect on how she viewed history, life and herself (a very well written and thought provoking post) while at the same time I am listening The Godfather’s “Birth School Work Death” on Radio Hidebound. That being said, today’s word would be Juxtaposition.

In a previous post from Skywriter, she listed other books that she holds dear or has read more than once. Well, I just bought this great new pop-up book. . . . . . . .

Actually, what books make me happy? Well, unlike, Skywriter, I usually read to get away. My sister did have me read the Seat of the Soul. It was very inspirational and all, but it didn’t tell me anything that I didn’t know and I found it fluffed up and a bit repetitive in parts. I think most of the inspirational, or self-help books, tend to be this way. . . . or maybe I took too many Philosophy and Psychology courses in college.

So . . . . . . . .Books! I was thinking of posting about books yesterday and then I read the aforementioned book post. And now I can write it and it will appear completely unoriginal.

About a year ago, I lent my Brother-In-Law a book. Thus, I had to buy it again. Yesterday in the mail, I received my new . . . . newish. . . .copy of Piers Anthony’s “On A Pale Horse”. It’s the first book in a series. However, it can be read as a stand alone book. It’s about a guy who in a suicide attempt accidentally kills Death when he comes to claim him. Thus, he must become Death. The five book (which turned into a seven book) series is great, but Pale Horse is by far the best of the series.

It’s one of the few books that I have read twice. The others are:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien – Everyone knows about the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. They may not have read it, but they have heard about it. Although I haven’t found the time to reread the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit is a quick read so I did get to squeeze that in between other things. LOTR and the Hobbit are two books that I actually went out and repurchased in a leather bound edition.

Ringworld by Larry Niven – This is the book that started it all for me. It’s the first book that I ever read for pleasure that wasn’t a comicbook. It was worth a second read. Although I read it forever ago, it still holds up. It’s on my list to read yet again. I can’t wait.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams – In my opinion the only thing funnier that this book is the 70s radio show that it was based on. Although I have read the book twice (and added to the leather bound collection), I have listened to the radio show about 100 times. Douglas Adams was hysterical. He wrote for a short time for Monty Python and his humor is without peer. If you enjoy British Humor and haven’t read this book, give it a try. Or better yet, seek out the radio show, which is different in many aspects and much funnier.
Other books in the library. . . .Mrs Deathlok and I turned our dining room into a library. . . .are the complete PREY series by John Sanford and the majority of Jeffrey Deaver’s work including all the Lincoln Rhyme books. A big chunk of Isaac Asimov’s work (because nobody can own ALL of Asimov’s work), including my autographed copy of Prelude To Foundation. The DUNE series by Frank Herbert (and his son in the later years).

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - This started out as a family read for my daughter and turned into a series that I developed a large self interest in. Unlike the Lemony Snicket books which I felt fizzled after the third book, the Potter series captivated me from start to finish.

Like Skywriter, I do own a copy of THE PRINCE and I was inspired by it. I helped a friend through a rough patch years ago and she bought that book for me as a thank you. I treasure that book.

Still on the Shelf:

I have a few books that are waiting for me. They are starting to pile up to the point; I’m starting to loose track of them. Currently, I am reading the latest Deaver book THE SLEEPING DOLL. Trying to get current with the show HEROES has slowed the progress of that. The new DUNE book is jumping off the shelf waiting for the DOLL to get finished. A Deaver book of short stories MORE TWISTED TALES is on the shelf, but short stories can wait. Someone talked me into buying a few Roger Zelazny books to replace the lose of Asimov. And speaking of Asimov, I was informed that a trio of writers put out a trilogy based on Asimov’s Foundation. I have the first two on the pile as well.

All that and tomorrow is comic book day.

6 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger BobG said...

If you try Zelazny, a good first choice is Lord of Light. The Amber series is great also, and has been published as one complete volume.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Thanks! I picked up a handful of his books at a used book store. I don't even know which one's I got.

Lord of Light it is!

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, "Pale Horse" is fabo. He even makes a cameo in a certain song called "Twisted Tree Pale Horse".

Since your sense of humour tends to the bit bizarre, may I introduce to you my favourite current writer, Chuck Palahniuk. I think "Survivor" is my fave of his, but one can always ease into the Palahniuk world with "Fight Club".

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Deathlok said...

There is no fight club.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger USA_Admiral said...

LOL. There is no "Fight Club".

I am not much of a book reader but my wife has read a lot of these. I was a ravenous comic book reader. Thanks for the visit. Waiting til 08.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger The British Bird. said...

Just popped in and read your last post...Im going to have to find that book now and read it for myself.

One you may enjoy is clive barkers weaveworld. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home