Friday, September 07, 2007

Ehhh. . . . .What?

Hey I'm not politically minded but. . . . .

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani said illegal immigration is not a crime, prompting rival Mitt Romney to accuse him of not taking the problem seriously.

The two have clashed for weeks over illegal immigration, an issue that inflames GOP conservatives who influence primary elections. The irony is that both candidates have in the past taken more liberal stands on the issue.

"It's not a crime," Giuliani said Friday. "I know that's very hard for people to understand, but it's not a federal crime."

Giuliani's comments came in an interview with CNN Headline News and radio talk-show host Glenn Beck.

"I was U.S. attorney in the Southern district of New York," he said. "So believe me, I know this. In fact, when you throw an immigrant out of the country, it's not a criminal proceeding. It's a civil proceeding."

Illegal immigration shouldn't be a crime, either, Giuliani said: "No, it shouldn't be because the government wouldn't be able to prosecute it. We couldn't prosecute 12 million people. We have only 2 million people in jail right now for all the crimes that are committed in the country, 2.5 million."


Okay, it's illegal. . .it's in the description. . . .but it's not a crime. And they fired the guy who correctly used the word "niggardly".

I'm lost.

4 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

????? I didn't realize "illegal" technically meant "legal."

What's he smoking?

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Don't they have Federal Law Enforcement guarding the borders?

It's a Federal Crime if I take a roll of tape from work. . . .

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it truly illegal, or is it simply called illegal? My guess is it's called illegal so people get more upset about it.

I have no idea, but Giuliani saying it isn't a crime sounds pretty factual to me.

Lok, are you lost when considering the legislation to keep people who want to get married from getting married is called the "Preservation of Marriage Act"?

Zippy, if it is a crime, but not a Federal crime, what kind of crime is it? A State crime, a municipal crime? Huh, huh, huh? Inquiring minds want to know.

What I love about this is yet another example of one politician (Romney) purposefully misunderstanding the point being made by another politician to say something negative. What a schmuck (then again, I think they're ALL schmucks).

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Captain America said...

My guess is that it's a violation of the rules of some Federal Agency (Like the INS). So that may mean it's an administrative violation not a criminal. There probably is no Federal Law stating that entering the country without proper documentation is illegal per say. The language is probably contained in the rules of the INS administrative code. The law creating the INS is the Federal Law. I don't think illegal aliens go before a Federal Judge routinely. I think they go before some kind of Immigration official. If they fight deportation it may end up in front of a judge. (Maybe an INS agent could clear this point up.)These agencies have broad authority in many cases to create their own rules and procedures that have the weight of law. Technically he may be right, but he's splitting hairs with lawyer double talk. Why I'm not sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home