Wednesday, August 15, 2007

H2Oh No!

How I long for a vacation in one of the lower rings of Dante’s Inferno.

Monday, I show up for work. This is the busy time of year for us Government types, so I am trying to coordinate what I am going to accomplish and what I am going to back burner. Somewhere in there, I’m thinking, “Maybe I’ll steal some time and make sure my promotion package gets started before it closes next week.”

As I approach the entrance, I notice that there is a piece of paper taped to the door. Then I notice, as I look around, that ALL the doors have a piece of paper taped to them. The Paper reads “DO NOT USE THE WATER! THE WATER IS NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION!!” Do not drink, cook, make ice, wash dishes, etc.

So, you are thinking no water that really stinks. Well, who do you think has the contract for the water safety? So, that was a good way to start the day.

Apparently, Ecoli, or something, was the flavor of the day. So the water coolers are everywhere and the water fountains are covered. The cafeteria is having a fit because they have to cook and wash and steam with bottled water. Of course you have to through politics in there. We were notified that it was safe to wash your hands. Why? Because if it’s not safe to wash your hands, they have to send everyone home. So, I’m thinking about calling out the next day with flesh eating disease.

As it turns out, the retests came back negative. The belief is that there was a tainted sample bottle. Everyone in the field did a marvelous job responding to the call and they were here all weekend making sure the airport was not hampered. We even avoided anyone claiming “TERRORIST!”

Didn’t stop the situation from hitting the local papers though. . . . ..

Today, despite the workload, I am working on that promotion package.

7 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

Heh. Don't drink the water.

Good luck with the promotion stuff. :)

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger LBJ said...

Do you have to write KASO's.

you poor thing.

We had the same problem with out last office, over by the Nasa Glenn facility. . big signs up. . don't drink the water. . . . with a skull and crossbones on the sign.

makes you feel so homey.

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh huh. 'package"

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Sky,
I'm actuaaly trying to translate for DoD to DoT. When I worked for the Navy, they were KSAPs. Now everyone looks at me and says "KSAPs? You mean KSAOs"

An ANAGRAM a day. . . .

Grim,
You have no idea what it's like knowing that you got pass over for a promotion based on someone reviewing your package . . .especially when they promote a woman instead.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Sezme said...

Doesn't say much for the package, then, eh? ;P

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger LBJ said...

KSAO's are all about fluff .. for example. . on one KSAO I had to write EVERY thing I'd done in industry at every level, including when I was a kid starting out.

Here's my KSAO example of a job assignment -

"I was responsible for the logistical management of aircraft supplies and service equipment, requisition of additional and/or requested supplies. I maintained accurate accountability records regarding the location and current inventory of major items and developed a computerized tracking form to do so more efficiently"

TRANSLATION:

I was a 22 year old copilot. . I kept the beer drawer stocked on the Learjet and made sure we always had beer.

I was beer girl.

Deathloc. . if you want examples of some old KSAO's or help or critique. . I'd be happy to. . . that's the main thing I learned out of the Ph.D. - FLUFF

Wyatt and RT both have my home email addy.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Also, I learned that "if you've done it once, you've done it!"

While at the Navy, I was able to list that "of all the GS 11s in the Contracts Branch, I am the only one with Managial Experience."

Translation: When the Supervisor took a vacation, I was told to keep an eye on everyone in the Branch (Even though I didn't technically work there. . . I was the FOIA analyst, thus an island unto myself)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home