Sunday, September 17, 2006

Drafty!!

Today is officially FHL draft week. Work be damned, my priority this week is preparing for the draft.

As the Commissioner and General Manager of Team Pinchy (see Pinchy above) the prep work is time consuming and worth every second.

The teams GMs consist of myself, Badger, the tandem of my older brother and nephew. .. Team Sean, (You posted my Picture, Wyatt ?!!?!?) Fish, Wyatt, Grimjack, Antonelli, BroccolliRob, Lock, Ant (The Canadian Authorities) and the West Coast team, OtherKev. . . .formerly known as Boop.

Due to pressure from the American Disabilities Commission, we were forced to invite the Gimp to join, but due to a lack of priorities, my friend Bill declined. Something about a wedding in Maine. . . .AND NOT EVEN HIS!!

So, Saturday approacheth!! This years draft will be at Vinnie's house. Although the food that Mrs. Deathlok usually prepares will be sorely missed, the presence of the beermeister of Guinness will be a welcome addition.

The Good News!!
1. Keith Tkachuk has reported to camp in great shape.
2. The players have juggled around, which should make for an interesting season.
3. Owen Nolan is playing this year after sitting out the entire last season.
4. I will have to place higher than I did last year.

The Bad News!!
1. With Keith Primeau's retirement. The only Hartford Whaler for BroccolliRob to draft is Brendan Shanahan.
2. Wyatt and Vinnie will again fight over Rangers players . . . .they're not so good!
3. Grimjack is number crunching to figure out exactly how much he owes from last year.
4. Nobody can safely criticize the first draft pick after the surprising turn around from last year. Kiprusoff turned out to be a solid pick.

Things to do this week before the draft:
1. Pack a lunch for the draft. Vinnie's house is devoid of food (other than Campbell's Chicken Noodle)
2. Order TEAM SEAN plaque for the trophy.
3. Calculate who owes what.
4. Prepare sheet for drafttime sidebets. (NOTE: Bring big paper)
5. Rank picks
6. Coordinate remote drafting
7. Get directions to Vinnie's
8. Bring speaker phone to Vinnie's
9. Sober up from Friday and prepare for Guinness.
10. Iron CLIFF RONNING shirt.
11. Tell TEAM LOCK to bring the trophy. . . .I think I just did that!
12. Bring Battlestar Gallactica comics for Wyatt.

Finally, Draft night is the official start to the hockey season for me. LET'S DROP THE PUCK!!!

7 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

Owen Nolan is like 100 years old, isn't he?

Pick Rod Brind'Amour for me, thanks. Yeah...that trade worked out well for the Flyers, didn't it? I'm still so bitter.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger grimjack said...

Umm...I'm not really number crunching. I figured that the commisioner would send me a bill.

As for the side bets, I figure that I'll have to bring more fives and ones then I'd usually need for a titty bar.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Yeah, but with Wyatt there, a titty bar is an appropriate analogy.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ironic is it that as i'm sitting here reading this, I have in front of me a microwaved bowl of Cambell's Chicken Noodle in front of me for lunch? It's like you're psychic!

You can prep all you want pal, it's not going to help, as we all know that before Christmas you'll trade a good player for someone of Ronning's ilk.

Owen Nolan is a great example - this will be his last season, and it will be just like Brett Hull's final season, except Brett Hull had more talent than Nolan.

You'll be settling for an eighth or ninth place ranking as usual.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Deathlok said...

I believe the overall GM ranking has you at 4th with 5.18 and the Pinch at 3rd with 4.45.

A buck says you can't pass my overall rank after this season!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

I signed up at "Putfile," which can post our stats in JPEG form. I can do weekly (or "weakly") updates for RT and the one other hockey fan who reads our blogs.

BTW, I am DEFINITELY drafting Rangers this year!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

Assuming you're sincere...thanks, Wyatt. I've never "witnessed" the whole fantasy league/drafting/trading thing....Don't get it, so now I can learn, I guess.

Ummm....Keenan resigned his job, so his team should improve. ha ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home