Saturday, May 13, 2006

Wyatt's Comic Guy Backup Story!!


Before you read this hop on over to Wyatt's "Support Your Local Gunslinger" blog and read a fanciful tale about me.

Not to take up all of Wyatt's blog space, I thought that I would relay a recent experience that shows that it's not the source of the information, it's having the information.

For example, as stated over on the other blog, I can usually run the Norse Mythology category on Jeopardy. What a Scholar!! Or so people think if I in unfamiliar company. That fact that I have read over 300 issues of THOR doesn't dimish the fact that I know this crap!!

The Story: I was at work a few weeks ago and a co-worker was telling me about this abusive email that he got from a customer. As he read it to me, the word "chimerical" came up. He said I don't even know what that means. I said "Neither do I, I think it has to do with something made up or imaginary (which fit the context of the sentence). So my boss came by and we looked it up. (Note: I was corrected in the CHI-merical, as it is pronounced KI-merical). The definition is "Created by or as if by a wildly fanciful imagination. . ."

My boss, in a rare moment, gives me an impressed look. How did you know that? How? Because I play Dungeons and Dragons and there is a creature called a Chimera which is a "a wildly fanciful imaginary . . .blah blah blah. The impressed look quickly vanished. So much for Honesty!

Researching further, there are many definitions to Chimera., so he may have been calling this guy a hermaprodite.

6 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger rachel said...

You have to love words that you can use to insult someone and after they look it up, they still don't know just how badly they were insulted.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger zippychik said...

Oh come on didn't you see X-Files episode with Skinner and the Chimera? It's one of my favorite episodes. Hey, it's not like I'm a geek or anything, right?

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

That my friends is why I Love Zippy! EOM!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Token Asian said...

I think it comes from Greek and Roman mythology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28mythology%29

The sad part is that I used to know these myths in 3rd grade (my teacher was a very proud Mrs. Starros, Greek American!).

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Wow. And I thought I was a geek.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Token Asian said...

Wyatt--I'm a geek (Star Wars freak) and DAMNED proud of it! ;D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home