Tuesday, April 18, 2006

'TIS THE SEASON!!

Tonight is the last night of the regular season. I LOVE this time of year. Hockey! Hockey! Hockey!

I've run a Fantasy League with a group of friends (not my friends because I'm high maintenance) for over 10 years. When it started, the stats were updated every Wednesday when the USAToday would post a comprehensive list of hockey statistics. I actually had to buy the USATOday every Wednesday. The stats were faxed to the General Managers every couple of days. They were 8 pages long. Along came advances in technology and the stat sheet is now a one page Excel spreadsheet (not counting the sidebet sheet. . .one of the more entertaining aspects of the league). I can now email the stats daily and verify the point totals when I feel the need. Recently, many sites (Yahoo, ESPN, etc) have developed online fantasy leagues. They are more involved and they keep track of themselves. In my opinion, they are not nearly as fun as the league that we started. The team's logo changes as the season goes on to reflect the performance of the team . . . . or the individual . . . .or it reflects something abusive that I just thought up. From Gimlets, Stanley Cups, Heather Locklear in a thong to toilets, tanks, logos of $60 (last place payup) and dumpsters, the league is fun, personal and entertaining (it can also be expensive if you make side bets while drunk at the bar).

The winner gets a Stanley cup plaque with their name engraved on it. Money spent during the year managing the teams is put towards drinks at the following years draft. A few people have drifted in and out, but by and large (not many people say "by-and-large" any more) it has been the same players since it's . . . what? Wyatt. . a little help. . . '94?

Sadly Team Pinchy didn't fair so well this year!

So as that ends, the next phase begins. Deemed by many as the best playoff pool ever, I have to gather playoff pool submissions from now until Friday at 7:00 (playoffs first puck drop). I started a playoff pool not long after the fantasy league. It's easy, cheap and the payout is big. More, you don't need to know players. This pool has gotten bigger every year that I have it.

The playoff pool has gotten to the point that I know about 20% of the people involved. I get emails from people who were referred by people who were referred by people who know friend of mine. As I type this, I'm thinking that I should post the progress of the pool on my blog. Hmmmmm! Anyway, ranking the teams from best to worst (16-1) is all it takes. The team gets the assigned points per win.

Of course, when life starts to get in the way, I have to stand up to life. With my travel for work sending me to California for a week starting Sunday morning, a Beef and Beer scheduled for Saturday night, and D&D scheduled for Friday night (that might get cancelled), it will be typing city from now untilthe puck drops on the playoff season.

Question to you Blogger Elite: Can you attach an Excel Spreadsheet to a blog?

Anyway, Go Flyers!!!!

6 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger grimjack said...

Temerity. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

That made me pee a little.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

"The winner gets a Stanley cup plague with their name engraved on it."

I hope to God you meant "plaQue."

And I probably lost a bundle on the drunken sidebets this year.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger grimjack said...

As anyone who knows me would know, I hate the Devils. I also hate the Rangers, but I hate the Devils. But I have to say I cheered for them during tonights incredible comeback against Montreal. The Flyers got to be division champs for 20 minutes, til passed by the Devils, who were champions for a total of 5 minutes this year. Why did I cheer? Cause if the Devils lost, the Flyers would host the Devils, and probably been swept. Not that the Flyers can beat Buffalo, but at least it won't be a crushing defeat to the Devils.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the most twisted reason to root for the devils I've ever heard, but it makes sense, in a sad sort of way. Rangers in six. Flyers in six.

Oh, and the FHL rocks, even thought the wheels fell off my wagon after the olympics. Third is still better than the three of you hacks!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

I missed 6th place by two damned points!!! FRAK!!!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Deathlok - FYI, Rachel has a blog and put you in her links. If you wanna reciprocate, it's www.channellingchloe.blogspot.com.

She's a 24 fan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home