Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What Makes Philadelphia Great!

SCRAPPLE!!! That's what! Sure, the cheesesteak is the big thing, but I found that most people don't even know what Scrapple is! Are you kidding me! It is the single most delicious breakfast meat in America (2nd in the world only to Irelands "Black Pudding").

So, as a public service (as I did back when Dayglo was around), here is a Scrapple Exposé.


This is Scrapple! Note that it is lean, so right there it tells you that it's good for you. It's comparable to how much better Corn PoPs are than Sugar Pops. I believe it was the Bard who said "A sugar cereal by any other "nonsugary" name would taste just as sweet!"

If you zoom in on the picture (zoom function sold separately) you can see the ingredients that make the world go round. Basically, it is pig parts. No, No! Not the should or the loin! The parts they couldn't sell . . . .The Scraps (hence the name). Excuse me, I'm drooling a little just thinking about it.

As you remove the succulent meat (meatlike substance), you will notice a fine patina of gelatinous glaze. This keeps you scrapple moist and ready for the frying pan.

As you slice it down. . . .not too thick now . . . . you can tell the moist enclosure is necessary to keep it from crumbling. I will admit . . .if you got the Farmer's Market, it is more bricklike and really tasty!

Heat up the skillet! Father's Day surprised me a few years ago with the Pampered Chef souble skillet. Very Nice!! You just cook enough of this (or M&M pancakes with a single skillet). Listen . . . . .. You can almost here the sizzle! ~sniff~ ~sniff~ Ooooohhhh, Baby!

Let it crisp up a little on the outside. It's little square medalleons of heaven. If the Jews were really God's chosen people he would have forbidden them to eat pork. . . . .except for Scrapple (That's a joke for any Jewish people that are offended).

"Now what do I do with it?" you may ask. Fry up those eggs, brown up that toast. Ketchup?. . .Yes, Please!

This, my friends, will get you through the day with a smile.

When I originally posted a similar exposé on Dayglo, I followed it up with a visit to San Diego. I brought a package (a brick?) of Scrapple to those Left Coasters. They say that they ate it, but I have my doubts. Conversely, I showed proof of the resiprical agreement fulfilled. The California bunch kept talking about having fish tacos. . . . .That's right, I said Fish Tacos. I was nauseated at the sound. Surprisely, they were very tasty (and completey impossible to get around here). I felt just like the guy from Green Eggs and Ham (No, not Sam I Am . . .the other guy . . . yeesh) I do like fish tacos. Now if they had fish tacos with scrapple on them. . . .That's what I'm talking about!

12 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never even heard of this! I thought Spam was more or less pig leftovers! Yum--J/K! Do we want to know the fat content? ha I'm glad it makes you happy--have you ever had a side order of grits with it? ;)

I used to like potted meat until one night I decided to read the ingredients and that was the end of that!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

You can't like something and then not like it because you discover its gross.

Where does that leave scrapple?

Oddly enough, I was just having the "Grits" conversation with someone from Texas when I was one travel for work in Monterey. I have never had them, but I understand that they are very similar to Cream of Wheat, which I love.

Grit Me!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger grimjack said...

Dude- what the fuck happened to those eggs?

Cooking hint- dip the scrapple pieces in flour before cooking, and they won't break up.

Mmmmm scrapple.

Blood Puddding and scrapple: Proof that everything tastes fine smothered in ketchup.

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can get instant grits, but they aren't as good as the ones you cook. I like them lumpy with butter. Some people sprinkle sugar and a small amount of milk on them. I prefer butter. I don't make them that often. And I haven't had cream of wheat much, so I couldn't tell you how they compared!

What does scrapple taste like? I have a friend in Harrisburg and she's never mentioned it. I wonder why it isn't sold down here?

Some stores carry pig ears and feet and even beef tongue and I've wondered what in the heck they did with those! No way could I chow down on them! I'd have to be beyond hungry! I was in Jamaica one time and one of the little wooden stores near the beach had the front leg of a cow on a counter and they were cutting meat off of it--really gross! One of the grossiest things I've seen on tv was during a reality show and these 2 guys had to eat live baby octupi! There was a woman in the back chopping them up as they tried to crawl away and when they were being eaten, the little tentacles would be grabbing for the outside of the guys' mouths! I had to quit watching and then they went outside and threw up, so the poor little baby octupi died for nothing! Are you grossed out yet? I am!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Now I'm in the mood for a hominy grits, octopi (babies, please), cow hoof, pig parts omlette.

Mmmmmmm, breakfast!

Oh well! I'll have to settle for Chocolate Lucky Charms! They're magically delicious. . . . .with a hint of racial tension . . . .I've said too much!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

I draw the line at tripe, Rocky Mountain Oysters (because they are balls) . . . . and olives.

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't say what it tastes like! And don't say chicken! Olives? Hominy is just called hominy here.
I usually just have oj and oatmeal.

RN, had you said you hated instant grits, I would've gotten it! Now I'm fighting a visual with a donkey!

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Linda,
It tastes like spices I guess. I doesn't taste like anything other than Scrapple.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

"It tastes like spices."

Great. Next time I'm on Dune, I'll try some.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

HAA!

Melange!! The Spice Must Flow!!

Classic!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger zippychik said...

Uck. Enuff said. Sorry we do have a lot of common likes but scrapple is not one of them. Nick Fotui happens to be the other.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site Zocor boards shop qoclick Puffin models Slot reader barcode ebony shemales

 

Post a Comment

<< Home