Friday, January 05, 2007

3 -1 - The Concert Scene

The more I thought about this, the harder it became to do the list. I have seen a lot of concerts and the more I reflected the more I thought to add to the list. So although there are some that I would love to add to the list, overall they didn’t make it for one reason or another.

3. Dave Edmunds – Dave Edmunds did a Ringo and His All Star band concert years ago. I bought a ticket for the Badger (because I tried to teach him good music from bad . . . .who do you think introduced these guys to the Furs, damn youngens!) Anyway, The Dave concert consisted of Dave Edmunds, Graham Parker (Hey! Here he is again), Kim Wilson (from the Fabulous Thunderbirds) and Dion. They each played a set and then they all came out and jammed. Edmunds had a 5 piece brass section with him which I not aware of seeing at a rock concert before. Graham came out with Edmunds and I was introduced to Graham playing Crawling From the Wreckage, A Dave Edmunds tune that Graham Parker wrote. Dion played some of his old hits and tracks from his YO FRANKIE CD, which I highly recommend. The common theme in these picks seems to be that like the others, these guys seemed to be having a great time doing this. Come on back Dave, and bring Nick Lowe with you this time.

2. Elvis Costello – My sister ruined the concert scene for me. She got in so much trouble that I was not allowed to go to concerts. Back in the day, Elvis had said that he would never play in the U.S. again (because someone tried to assassinate him). . .WHINE WHINE WHINE!. . . .”I don’t want to be shot at!” Big Baby! So, when he came to the Tower Theatre, with Squeeze opening no less, my Mother agreed to let me go. And thus the flow of concert money began. Despite that, this concert did not make the list. However, Elvis Costello’s Singing Song Book tour did. As mentioned in a previous post, Elvis played three nights. He played a new album night, a classic hits night and a singing songbook night. I got three tickets and Grimjack (loaded down with tape recorder and microphones, some girl, my exgirlfriend Nancy maybe, (the fact that I’m more aware that Grimjack was there than her could explain that) and myself. The concert consisted of Elvis in two roles, the MC and the singer. He had this odd hat and a pineapple on a stick and walked around the audience and picked people to spin the songbook. This was a big difference from the “Angry Man” Elvis personae that everyone knew, so it was startling. The songbook was a gigantic wheel on stage that had Elvis songs on it plus songs like, Pretty In Pink (which didn’t come up!) American Girl and Pop Life (which did). He had girls come out of the audience and go into a Go Go cage and dance. The songs were excellent and the atmosphere was second to none. . . . .Well second to one. . . . .

1. Pink Floyd – Anybody that knows me knows that I am an 80s New Wave, Post Modern guy. I consider my life improved by discovering the former Dayglo radio and Radiohidebound (go and listen to it. . .they just added new songs). I do however try to keep well rounded. My 301 disc CD player, set on random will throw out a combination of Elvis Costello, John-Michele Jarre, ABBA and Mozart. . . . and the Partridge Family. The danger is having the ABBA CD right next to the ACDC.
So, I’ve seen my share of different music. I’ve been dragged to Janet Jackson. I had front row seats for Basia. . . .That’s right BASIA! I’ve been dragged to shows by “some guy named Joe Satriani” that turned out to have almost made this list. . .. thanks Grim.
To the point . . . . THE BEST CONCERT THAT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO WAS PINK FLOYD. It was loud it was rockin’! There was so much going on you couldn’t keep track of everything. Between the guy flying through the air on a gurney, the giant pig floating overhead, the stoned people throwing fireworks in the stands, smoke, lights . . . .and I think there was a band playing too. The only thing that could have beat that is that is that my sister (remember her from earlier) had an extra ticket to THE WALL in NY but I wouldn't cut school to go! (Insert a picture of a Burrow here). One of my big regrets!
Every now and then the “Pink Floyd Reunion” rumor floats around. If that happens I am going and I’m getting a ticket for my daughter so she know what a GREAT concert is.

Honorable Mention
Pogues – Last years Pogues concert was great and although I though of putting it in the list, the others were much more showy and entertaining. It was a great show though and a once in a lifetime show. Other shows that can never be repeated. . . .Spinal Tap, Big Country, INXS, Micheal Hedges (Grim, remember that Hedges, Ackerman and Shadowfax concert . . .people brought wine and cheese), Queen and the Ramones.

The Grateful Dead – The first of two Dead shows that I was taken to was a spectacle like I’ve never seen. This show was seriously bumping up on the top 5 list and if I liked the Dead’s music a little more it would have made it.

Adrian Belew – Adrain had a concert where he had a question and answer session and played music. It was a quaint little layed back show that I found enjoyable.

The Rock and Soul Review Tour – Another All Star show consisting of Michael McDonald, Donald Fagan, Walter Becker, Phoebe Snow, and Boz Skaggs, which featured a combined jam at the end.

6 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Basia! I've looked but haven't found any new cds for awhile.

You've been very busy! I haven't been to that many concerts. I hate the screaming! Plus I don't want to damage my hearing!

How many siblings do you have?

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

No mention of any Furs concert. Blasphemy!

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off-subject: go to youtube, look up Spiders on Drugs--funny!

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The singing songbook show was fun. Also loved the Floyd show. For me, a top ten was very hard, as I had to exclude the 50 plus Dead shows, and the big obvious ones like Live Aid and Lalapaloozza 93. I'd give the nod to

Live- Spectrum 1995
Lucinda Williams Electric Factory 2001
Jethro Tull-Electric Factory 1996
Stone Temple Pilots- Electric Facotry 2002
Neil Young and Bluenotes- Mann 1988
Foo Fighters- Acoustic Tour 2006-Tower Theater
Nine Inch Nails/Queens of the Stone Age- 2005 Spectrum
Rolling Stones- 2002 Tower Theater
Jimmy Page and Robert Plant 1995-Spectrum
YES- 1991 Spectrum (Union Tour- with 8 member band)

I may expand in my own blog if Iget the chance.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Deathlok said...

And how about the Firm. . . .oops!

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top for me -- INXS. So much so, that I went to more than one concert in 2006! Something incredible happens to me from the get-go, starting with the countdown, and then BLAST! Non-stop energy, non-stop exciting music, and it kept my heart fired up! After each concert, I wanted another, right away! Just couldn't get enough. No other bands left me feeling like this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home