Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Furs - Back To Earth!



For a more detail . . and disgusting . .recap of the Furs concert, click on the Support Your Local Gunfighter link to the right. As not to join Saddam at the gallows, I have to first express my positive feedback of the concert.

The audience was filled with re acquaintances, Wyatt saw his Quizzo waitress, who despite having met her a half dozen times, had no idea who I was until Wyatt mentioned "This is Badger's brother who got into an fight with the Quizzo guy". . .Then she knew who I was. Better to be infamous than anonymous. I also saw my friend Mike, who I haven't seen in years. I also bumped into an ex-girlfriend from college. After speaking with her for a bit, I explained who she was to my wife and she said "Is that the one that hates you?" YEAH! She was nice enough anyway.

Anywho . .. . The Concert was great. The band (and I say the band because the opening band is dead to me) was playing and having a great time doing it. The saxophone player's return

took me back to the 1985 Spectrum Showcase concert, which is the last time I think they had the saxophone player. . .although he said he left in 1990. Anyway, hit after hit including my fave, Alice's House!

The show was much louder than the Richard Butler solo show at the World Cafe so my shouts for their cover of Virginia Plain went unheard.

As Grimjack pointed out, it's great seeing these guys enjoying themselves up there.

Great Show!

Being more realistic, i had one problem with the show:
Wyatt and Mrs Deathlok were complaining that the crowd was dead. I put part of the blame of that on the Furs. They seemed to be having a great time up there themselves but they never really made any attempt to get the crowd into it. I've seen the Furs so many times that I lost count. The show a few years ago with Echo and the Bunnymen had Richard more engaged with the audience and thus they were more into the show. If you have ever been a Crowded House concert, you could understand. The SHOW is great! The music is great too, but there is a show going on. For example, years ago, I dragged Grimjack to the Elvis Singing Songbook tour. I was probably one of the best shows that I have ever been at. Grim?? I've been to shows where the music was better, but between Elvis walking around picking people to go spin the wheel of songs, putting people in the Go Go cage, and turning on MOONLIGHTING at the bar on stage, it was incredible. But I digress. . . .

Again, the music at the Furs was great. the Sound was great (and based on the ringing in my ears, it is still great). Talking to the sax player was great afterwards. However, I can understand the crowd not jumping around. Finally, it's the Furs. Most of the people there are too old to jumping around. They could throw a hip.

To quote Wyatt at the show "Just because the music is from the 80s, doesn't mean it still is the 80s". in response to the attire and accoutrement at the show.

4 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad the old folks had a good time! j/k Somebody hates you? Nooooo!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

Sounded like you had fun. Yeah...40ish year old people and concerts: They were all worried about their bills, babysitters, and getting out of Philly alive.

It is great, though, that bands from the 80s still play and do a nice job. Hope the muffled vrrrrrrrrrrr sound in your ears has stopped. ;)

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Sezme said...

Happy New Year!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

D, my ears are still ringing as well. Dang.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home