Thursday, January 04, 2007

Top 5 Concerts

Okay, so the Furs concert was great!

This just in. . . .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070103/en_nm/police_dc_1

The Police are planning a 2007 Reunion tour. Gnome, get your transpass ready, there will be a Philadelphia show and it will be attended.

Which got me thinking . . . .What are my five favorite concerts. Back in the day, I went to a lot of concerts. I went to concert that I loved, I went to concerts that Grimjack made me go to and concerts that girls that I was dating made me go to. Sure I love Graham Parker. Any Graham concert is a great concert. But were they all good SHOWS! Combining music with showmanship and general concert atmosphere, here are my top five concerts.

5. Crowded House – These guys put on a great show. They are laughing and getting the audience involved. Everyone and I mean everyone is having a good time. Standing in the audience with the drummer playing on the strings of the guitar, was inspired. They sang I GOT YOU and then had the audience sing it until everyone was tired of hearing it and said, “Now you know how we feel about it!”
5. Tie with that only because it was a great mellow time with one the all time best is the Miles Davis concert. Points for having just being able to say that I went to a Miles show. It was in a whole different class of concert, but WOW!! He blew everyone away. Unfortunately, putting Miles with Crowded House is kind of demeaning for Miles. Sorry Miles.

4. Smithereens and Friends – Well, you knew there was going to be Graham in the list right? My Birthday, October 29, 2005. My wife surprised me with tickets to see the Smithereens and Others in New York City. The bands were the Smithereens, Southern Culture on the Skids, Sandra Bernhart(??), Glenn Tilbrook, Graham Parker and Marshall Crenshaw. Before the show started, we were on the balcony having a drink. We were standing next to this BIG guy. After a while, I realized if this guy lost 150lbs, he would look like Pat DiNizio (Is that spelled right?), the lead singer for the Smithereens. We started talking to him. He talked with me briefly and extensively with my wife (Damn, Redheads!). He thanked us for coming out. A real nice guy. I have to say that Graham kinda phone it in that night. He was the only one that didn’t hang around after his set. I met and got autographs from all the members of SCOTS, they rock live. They sang a song called 8 piece box and were throwing KFC chicken into the audience. Crenshaw was good but he seemed depressed (like “Thanks for coming out! I plan on killing myself after the show” depressed). Sandra Bernhart! Hmmm. . . . I have to say, she wasn’t bad. She killed a songs (Stones covers or something), but she sang a few blues tunes that really fit here voice. I was impressed. The Smithereens were Great! Pat may be fat, but he was really kickin’ it! They sounded awesome. They would have been the highlight of the show, but. . . . . Glenn Tilbrook and the Fluffers. . . .That’s right! The Fluffers. When he started he was in the audience with a melodica (is that what that Hooters thing is called?) and started singing until the audience all caught on that he was actually playing, then he went and joined the band. He played a few Fluffers tunes (eh.) and loaded up the Squeeze! GREAT GREAT show!

Top 3 Later. . . . .

6 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mean The Police as in Sting, etc?

Sandra Bernhart? Sandra Bernhart? Oh, my eyes! That would be painful to sit through! You're just being nice, aren't you? Religious teacher and all! ;)

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

I was as surpised as anyone! If it makes you feel any better, her covers were expectedly wretched.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Great, and I just ate!

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, the more important question was about The Police. Sting has always said no to a reunion. (Your link doesn't work, btw.) I'd love to see it but I doubt they come south, if it even happens. I usually go to sleep listening to The Best of Sting cd and the only song I don't like is Russians--I'd remove it if I could!
Seeing The Police, I think, would be a big hit!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Great! Now EVERYONE knows my link doesn't work! Thanks Linda!

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just means you have to keep striving for perfection! heh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home