Friday, February 17, 2006

Defending The Realm



As much as I agree with Dr PhT, I feel I have to defend (a little bit) the D&D mythos.
  • DrPhTsD&DBash

  • As explained in my comments of DPTs post, my wife and I have been playing D&D every otehr Friday for about 2 1/2 years. There is really only ONE rule for this game.

    Rule 1 - IT'S A GAME!!

    That's it! It's more advanced, more entertaining game than Scene It, Pictionary or Boggle.

    The problem comes in (Oh, and they do come in) when people take the game to seriously. I would guarantee that if the people reading this post were to get together and "roll a character" and play by the the end of the night, they would say "That was fun!" (Just add alcohol).

    For Wyatt and the like, you could change the game . . .just a little . . . .and you would have this:

    GAME

    You roll your character (choose from. . .Swat Team, Bomb Squad, Sniper, etc) instead of armour you now buy (Kevlar vest +1). Equip with scope or Glock. Of course you want to have your "knight" stick (with electric damage optional). Objective of the game.

    A call comes in: There is a disturbance at the Move house. Shots fired. Your team is called in. On the way to the call there is a robbery in progress. You have decide whether to take the call, stop and handle the robbery or split the team. Sounds more fun already doesn't it??

    I was actually thinking of a hockey game where each character has differenct attributes. choose from Slap Shot, Wrist Shot, Checking Power, back hand, Stamina, injury reduction. . . ..

    If you keep the game in perspective, I have to say, it's one of the better games to play.

    However, there have been people that roll in to the game that are eerily like the guy in DPhT's video. They have somewhere along the road lost the map to reality. It is then that the game gets creepy.

    The game gets a bad rap. The players, moreso, are deserving of the label put upon them.

    3 Comments:

    At 9:55 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

    When D&D forst came out, a space version was created called Star Frontiers. I had it, and LOVED it! Of course, what Star Wars/Matrix/BSG nerd like myself wouldn't?

     
    At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dlok,
    I like your version of the game much better. Although being a grad student I have no time for such trivialities.
    Once I start working for the software company, howvwer, I will have to begin to measure carefully comments about D&D and Star Wars.

     
    At 8:35 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

    Beliveve it or not there are those out there that think Blogging is weird.

    The Nerve. . . .

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home