Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hang A Right!

Last week's surgery went well. I've ducked and dodged for a year and a half but it finally caught up to me.

Back in '06, I was having problems with my right wrist. I went to the doctor and he told me that I needed surgery. During his diatribe, he said, "blah blah blah . . fuse the bones in your wrist. . . . blah bah blah . ." The translation to that is "go to another Doctor. So, I did.

Doctor #2 says surgery is probably needed, but let's try therapy first. Therapy did inlude anything being fused. Let's do it! A few weeks and a couple $100 later and we were back . . .in his office. Cortizone is next. GET INTO THE ZONE . . CORTIZONE! Although painful shot. . .two actually, but the pain subsided and things were good. TAKE THAT FUSION GUY!! Six months later the pain came back. Sadness.

Later, I am talking to a fellow member of the Pastoral Council and we start talking about surgeries. It turns out that his wife works for the Fusion Guy. I tell her the story. She tells me that he is awsome and that Doc #2 is "not so good". Well, okay. That's nice but I am not ready for any fusion unless Jeff Lorber is in town (a little Jazz Fusion humor).

The next week, Shelley, the nurse, sees me and tells me that she looked at my chart and the records show that the diagnosis was a three step plan. 1. scope and determine the problem. 2. ligament reconstruction. 3. Bone Fusion. OH! That's what that blah blah blah was.

Back at the original Doctor, we decide that (1) I haven't been around in 1 1/2 years and (2) we don't need the surgery to look at the problem. Right on to step two. Surgery is scheduled and I sign a form that says if during the procedure, it is clear that the Fusion is needed, to do it.

I wake to find that the repair of the partialy torn ligament has been repaired and things looked good. No Fusion.

8 weeks - 1 down 7 to go. My left hand is getting a workout. When I not at work or driving to the Flyers, Percoset and I have a loving union.

Today, I have my first review. The doctor is going to remove the Hellboy mit and replace it with a cast (I'm hoping for the cast of Baywatch). Hopefully, I will get something smaller in size so that I can get a shirt on. (I own two oversized shirts and I'm wearing the second one today. . . .and I'm freezing.

Note: Post done entirely left handed.

4 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

My left hand is getting a workout.

I'm sorry, but that sentence is giving me the giggles.

I seriously hope you are feeling better and mend quickly. :)

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Good stuff! Keep on the therapy, and get better soon. We need timely stats!

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Brad said...

You have invented an entirely new concept to the English language: jazz fusion humor.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Captain America said...

One of my Medics slipped on the truck bay floor and damaged his wrist. After surgery he was left with a type of pain syndrome and lost a lot of the usage of his hand. He eventually was pensioned off on disability. Sucks because he is a big time fisherman. He only had four years on the job too. Hope you heal up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home