Saturday, January 12, 2008

Comic Collector - Retired!



Okay, I guess Wyatt is right. I should vent. The previous post had a comment left saying that I surprisingly didn’t post something about Spider-Man’s divorce.


Well, let me tell you. I just finished reading the last two issues of Spider-Man. The only thought that went through my mind is “Wow! I just stopped collecting Spider-Man.” That’s right. I can’t see myself buying another issue of this crap. I have been buying Spider-Man comics since 1977. You can’t walk 3 feet in my house without seeing something with Spider-Man on it.

As I mentioned in my WALKING DEAD post, I forgot the joy of collecting comics and have often thought that maybe I was growing away from the hobby. I glad I realized that that is not the case. It’s just that the big two (MARVEL and DC) are only in it for the buck and have no creativity whatsoever any more.

DC doesn’t bother me as much because I just started the BATMAN admiration about 15 years ago. I have always been a MARVEL guy. Now, I can’t think of ONE book that is great. Fantastic Four . .. It’s okay. They have ruined IRON MAN (hopefully, the movie will be good). The HULK is now red. . . .RED!
I don’t even want to know why the Hulk is red. Captain America is dead, which I heard is some retaliation to the Iraq War and now they are bringing in a new guy in a costume that looks stupid . . . .Oooooo, shiny! The X-men and so over used and there are so many books out there, I can’t keep track. . . .and don’t.


As for Spider-Man, Wyatt got it wrong. He didn’t get divorced. I wouldn’t have liked that at all, but it would have been reasonable (if you wrote it properly). Mephisto (the devil) made a deal with Peter Parker and Mary Jane. To save the life of Aunt May, they had to agree to have never met. WHAT?. . . .. Strike One! When they agree, Peter Parker is now single and his dead friend Harry Osborne is alive again. . . .Huh? Strike Two. Well, where is strike three you ask?!?! Let combined the fact that everyone magically forgets that Spider-Man revealed his identity to the world (the whole world forgot. . . .and not only forgot, the book actually says “People remember Spider-Man unmasking but can’t remember who was under the mask”. Now let’s sprinkle in the unexplained “Harry was living in Europe, Parker doesn’t work at the Bugle anymore for no reason, Mary Jane shows up for a party despite living in California and is unexplainedly angry with Peter.. . . . .”

The kicker is that they have “cancelled” the other two Spider-Man titles and now Amazing Spider-Man comes out three times a month. The $12.00 a month for a book that blows dog.

With nothing good on the market, I picked up three weeks of comics this week and spent over $50 . . . .and one of them wasn’t WALKING DEAD.

As the cover on the new issue of Spider-Man says, It's a BRAND NEW DAY. . . . but not a good one.

6 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

They probably started hiring people for their education rather than their love of comic books.

I can't believe the hulk is red. That is awful.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Captain America said...

That is complete B.S, dude.

"The $12.00 a month for a book that blows dog."

Nice!

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not $12.00 a month.

ASM #546 is $3.99, but it's larger than normal. It has a 25pg. lead feature. Plus an additional 9pgs. in back up stories, a 2pg primer, and a new letters page.

Next issue, and for all the remaining issues, the page size goes down to normal and the price returns to $2.99.

On average, it will be 3 comics for $9.00 a month.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

And that's better?

$9.00 a month for something that isn't even okay.

I couldn't get my money out fast enough for the Walking Dead.

This Mephisto thing actually is worse than the Seige Perilous.

Oh, and back up story? An editted version of the Spider-Man Wedding that, now, never happened. . . .which I already own.

2 pages of character sheets that said "everything is unknown". Garbage.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

That's hella-weak.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger grimjack said...

It's astounding. I quit for the second time because of the cost, vs how good the stories weren't. It just seemed like every time there was a decent storyline, it just suddenly stopped and a new one started. That was especially true of the X-books. I couldn't wait for them to come out. Then the stories would get good, and then just end. No resolution or reason, just a new story. I got tired of shelling out money for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home