Friday, January 04, 2008

Walk This Way!



WOW!! Many thanks go out to Will the Thrill at Jester's Playhouse
in Northfield NJ.
Will and I were talking about comics the a few weeks ago. In my rant about comics really hitting rock bottom as an industry and as a hobby, he mentioned that THE WALKING DEAD was a great comic. On a lark, I picked up the first collected volume of issues and read it. It was really good. So I picked up the second volume (each trade volume contains about 6 issues of the comic) and read some more. It got better. it got so much better that I went to ebay and bought all 7 volume of the trade paper back and then went to Jester's and got the back issues of the comic that haven't been collected yet. I have one more issue (#45) to get caught up.

It's INCREDIBLE!! It is the best comic that I have read in years. I couldn't put it down.

The storyline is basically about a group of people during a post zombie infestation ala DAWN OF THE DEAD. But it's more than that. The story has characters that you get to know and care about. It's not just zombies eating people. The post apocalyptic zombie thing is just the setting. It is often background to the story.

This is why I have collected comics since 1977. . . . .and I FORGOT! I actually forgot how much fun reading comics that are reaaaallllllyyy good is.

Between Marvel dipping into the toilet tank for stories and ruining Spider-Man, killing Captain America and just slinging out any talentless crap and putting a X-Men title on it to sell, I have never been more inclined to stop the weekly drain on my bank account. DC is little better. Anything that is good gets over used until it's a dried husk of an idea. It's sad.

And now this!!! I actually feel like I will be unable to tolerate the lukewarm Superhero books that I have gathered in abundance for years. I could almost just wait for the movies now!

The WALKING DEAD would be the perfect new series to breath some life back into the HBO schedule. I can't wait for the next WALKING DEAD. Robert Kirkman (writer, creator) you are my new favorite writer.

2 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

That's nice that you found something to rekindle your "love" for comic books. They are worthwhile reading material. I've often wanted to get into the graphic novels. That's a talent I wish I had. WOW! Some of the illustrations are amazing.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm bitter! ::sniff::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home