Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I See You!!


A quick update!

Moon is about the same! Which sounds bad, but considering that last week he was a lot worse (we even got the "you'd better come up, now!" call), I'd not that bad.

It's gonna be a long road, but we remain hopeful.

I gave my wife a break on Saturday because she was a mess. I sat up there with him. Tube coming outta everywhere. He is getting dialysis everyday, he has a feeding tube, a trach hole, a tube draining his lung, and God knows what else. It's like something out of a Peter Cook book. He is being kept paralyzed so that he can get treatment without fighting it.

So, I'm there looking at this and I notice something.

The nurse comes in and I ask "Did he order coffee this morning?" She looks at me like I'm a moron. "What?" "Well, there's been a half drunk Dunkin'Donuts Iced Coffee on his tray since I've been here. I just assumed it was his!"
She gets all indignant . . ."It's probably the attending nurse's!"
"Well, I think it's disrespectful to the patients to leave trash in their room."
She storms out.

A short time later the attending nurse comes in and is fiddling with the tubes and stuff. When I looked up from my book, the coffee was gone.

I don't get up there often, but I make it count. They certainly know who I am now!

7 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there some kind of music Moon likes? If so, maybe a tape player or something could be put in his room?
Sitting in a hospital is exhausting, not to mention dealing with the staff! Some people are great and some make you wonder what their second career choice was! When I had my son, we were both in the hospital for 2 wks due to errors made by my dr and the hospital staff! They're lucky they got me while I was still sweet as sugar (heh) because I would never put up with that kind of treatment again! I'm not saying yell at the staff, just keep an eye on them and express your concern. I feel for all of you and I sure hope he gets some more good years.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger zippychik said...

I agree with Linda. Bring a small boom box and get several of his faves from home or his car.

Also I'm sure the staff knows Barb pretty well. Try to get to know the nurses and their names. They really love it when you greet them and thank them by name. Also a box of chocolates (or donuts) in their break room goes a long way.

You, Moon and the family are in my prayers.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all of this.
To help with long stretches in the hospital you might try purchasing books on audio tape for him. I have done so in the past and it was a hit.

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you man?

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Yeah, let's restart those blogging engines!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

What Wyatt said!!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

BTW, your father-in-law is in my prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home