Friday, November 23, 2007

Aaaahhhhties!!

Wednesday Night was concert night. Unfortunately, it wasn't "Deathlok Picks A Concert Night". Mrs D and her friend decided to have a reunion between the two of them and THE BAND. The band in question was The A's!

Who? Well, if you were living in the 80s AND part of the local Philadelphia music scene AND hitting the clubs nightly, you too may have heard of THE A's. If you watched a special on 80s one hit wonders. . .you might have heard of "Woman's Got The Power", thus you can count yourself in the "A's Friendly" category. Despite being a mediocre, but enjoyable band, not quite as good as Beru Revue but better than Bricklin. (If you are not of the 80s Philly scene, ignore the last sentence).

After 22 years, THE A's had a one off reunion tour as an opening act to the HOOTERS. . .
NO! NO! Not those Hooters. . . these Hooters


THE A's opened up and sea of girls got stupid. It reminded me of the time that I was at the Nik Kershaw/Paul Young concert. I was in about the 30th row and the girl behind me yelled, He's looking right at me. I haven't seen behavior like that since Wyatt went to see Richard Butler.

According the Mrs Deathlok, the show was a cookie cutter of the shows that they did 22 years ago (which were probably also introduced by the hirsute fossil. . Pierre Robert). It was fun. To the girls disdain and venomous stares, I said that they sounded a lot like Robert Hazard . . .Faux Pas there.

They have a song called "AFTER LAST NIGHT" which I think is a much better song than the Woman's Got. . song. Anyway, my wife and her friend were happy to see the "old gang" so . . .good for them.

Next up came the Hooters. My first thought was that they were going to say "we can leave now". . .No such luck.

I have to say with the exception that they played a lot of Hooters songs, they weren't bad. There sound was good. They have a great stage presence and when you compare the two bands, you can see why one band made it and the other didn't. Very polished. I also heard some Hooter songs that I forgot that I kinda liked.

My problem with the Hooters has always been this:

When I was in college, my roommate was a heavy metal head. Great guy, but our musical tastes were 180 degrees. While I was listening to Graham Parker, Elvis Costello, Tears for Fears, New Order. . . .he was listening to Ratt, Iron Maiden, Motley Crûe and Triumph (okay, I admit that I did like the Triumph and a band called Ravyn). Other than that the only non metal in his collection was 1. 99 Luft Balloons 2. John Waite's Sole album (because MISSING YOU was him and his girlfriend's song. . . .now his wife) and . . . THE HOOTERS. So other than John Waite's MR. WONDERFUL, the Hooters were the only viable choice. (If only I had the BABY's GREATEST HITS THEN).

Now the Hooter's only had an EP and the Albums was due out. New Stuff? No! You see Jim's uncle worked the soundboard at the Tower Theater, so we had a whole stack of Hooter's shit before the album came out. I was sick of it before the album was done being pressed.

Anyway, my previous relationship consisted of going to see Janet Jackson and Basia, so I got off easy. The show was much better than expected. Plus, the Hooters gave out a copy of their new CD to everyone who attended.

With two of them, the question is. . .. can Radio Hidebound accept the donation??

8 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

I posted this in June. Your wife has good taste. :)

Yes, The A's do sound like Robert Hazard, but they were still good! (Not a huge Hooters fan, though.)Eh, it was the sound of the times.

I listened to WMMR's Hooters/A's special all the way home Wednesday after school. I was singing right along, too. I wanted to go!


I haven't seen behavior like that since Wyatt went to see Richard Butler.

HA! I laughed so hard I snorted! Was Wyatt walking his way while looking pretty in pink?

(Guess you liked my John Waite and Baby's post, huh? HA!)

Janet Jackson? Ewwwwwwww! Let me guess, you've seen the Tubes and EBN-OZN in concert! HA!

Geez, that mocha frap is lasting a bit longer than I anticipated. My brain is a little wound up, eh?

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger grimjack said...

Hooters. I was a fan for a bit, until the album came out. As 'lok said, it was the same songs, just horribly over-produced. THe A's had a song I liked, but I'll never remember the name. Ironically, my cousin was in a rival band (Cats) that hailed from the Mayfair section of Philly. He always bashed the A's.

Robert Hazard. That is the answer to the trivia question of "Who was the opening group for the weirdest concert mix I ever saw? He was the first group of a parade of weirdness- Flock of Seagulls, Blondie (2nd worst band I ever saw) and Elvis Costello and the Attractions (back when I didn't get it). Then the sun went down and on came -Genesis. A 70's prog rock band, preceded by bands that came about because of their hate of progressive rock. The crowd was equally mixed, with the person I went with wanting to leave as soon as Elvis left the building. I didn't want to show up until the evening. This was an all day JFK Stadium concert. THe day wasn't a total loss, as I got to see Genesis play "Suppers Ready". Ironically, a few years later Genesis became sillyasses, and I'm an Elvis fan (deathlok's fault).

PS- worst concert ever -Madness.

















































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































?"

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Nice Hooters!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

Look at what I found!!!! HA!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Brad said...

The original Hooters album (the one they made locally before they got big) is GREAT! I recorded it to MP3. I'll have to send it to you.

I remember I sold all my old KISS LP's to your roomie. Regretted it later....

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Brad said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Brad said...

Here's Amore, recorded from vinyl:

Amore

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Token Asian said...

Your comments about Mrs. Dlok and friend and the A's reminds me of Hugh Grant in "Music and Lyrics"--I watched it during a platelet donation--very cute flick, especially HG's portrayal of a semi-washed up 80s idol. (^_~) Wish I could have crashed your BSG viewing party...

Regards to Clan Deathlok and Kirky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home