Monday, January 29, 2007

Barbaro - Now In Greener Pastures


Sad news today as Barbaro was killed (euthanized my ass) due to the continual problems with his broken leg. Personally, I thought they would have gone the research and development route and tried to develop a prosthetic leg for him. What do you have to loose (“I’ve thought about it and I’ve decided, It’s medical experiments for the lot of you.”).

In a related story, Philadelphia Flyer, Peter Forsberg, called a meeting today with the team owners after hearing the above news to ensure that the same fate is not planned for him.

"They Do What When Your Leg Goes Bad In This Country???"

6 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so in hopes that what they were doing would work! Must've cost a small fortune! So sad to have to put a beautiful animal down.

Aren't you glad you didn't break a leg?!

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just caught SportsCenter and it sounded like the problem had become the front feet (from what I understand this is fairly typical as the horse has to shift weight to other legs).

{soapbox on}

I know I'm usually rather the wise-ass (no, really?), but this bothers me in a couple of ways. I'm always upset when a life is needlessly cut short, but when it is needlessly cut short because of human arrogance I just get apoplectic. As horse racing has become more and more profitable for horse owners, humans have bred thoroughbreds to the point where the legs cannot support the bulk of the body.

It's another sad example of humankind destroying Nature.

But it's okay, Gaea will have the last laugh.

{soapbox off}

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to sign on to the local news website to post my goodbyes like they asked. Then I realized it was a fuckin horse. And not even one of the talking ones. If it hadn't won two races, our dogs would be eating it.

I swear that this city is so starved for a champion, this poor thing's death is getting more coverage then Ford's. I won't be suprised to see a parade with a giant horse coffin down Broad Street.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Grim - Yeah, I think demand would be larger for Mr. Ed.

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When a male horse has a bum hind leg, it can get into position to copulate.....akin to you loosing your right hand...

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I say "you" I don't mean you specifically, I mean all of us wankers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home