Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Things I HATE about Comic Books today!

As I've said previously, I have been collecting comics since 1975. . . .Over 30 Years! When I started, it was a deep dark secret because the other kids would kick your ass. Now, it's no big deal. . . .at least not if you aren't old like me.

Anyway, one of the guys that I used to buy my books from once told me, "There are no bad character's, just bad writers. From what I've seen, I agree with that. I've seen people like Todd McFarlane take a lame villain like Chameleon and make him really neat. On the other hand there is the following. . . . . . .

The following list are things that are so horrible that they make me want to stop collecting comics. The rule for this hatred (as if I need one) is simple. If you change something that you can't change back without doing something stupid like reboot the Universe. It better not be stupid.

1. The Ultimate Universe character changes - A few years ago, Marvel introduced a NEW universe. . .The Ultimate Universe. My description of the Ultimate Universe is "A really bad idea done REALLY well. They took the top writer and artist talents and basically revamped the Marvel Superheroes. Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, The Ultimates (which is the Avengers) and the X-Men. There are other book that are limited in there run, but these are the main for books. They are all very well done books. . . .especially Spider-Man. The problem is this. From a comic enthusiast (geek) it is hard to sit around a discuss a character because there are three or four of each character now. There is single Spider-Man and married Spider-Man. In the X-men, you have Colossus who has had a growing love thing with Shadowcat (Kitty from the movie) for years. Over in the Ultimate X-Men, Colossus is gay. WHAT? Northstar is gay in both books and I don't care. It's the inconsistencey that makes it crappy. Nick Fury. . .Hard as nails white guy with a patch on his eye, greying temples, smokes a cigar, been around since the 40s. In the Ultimates, he's a bald black guy that looks like Samuel L. Jackson (IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!!)

2. What unleashed this topic? Today, the New Civil War comic came out (Spoiler Alert) and Spider-Man reveals that he is Peter Parker. OUCH! You cannot recover from that. The armor costume was bad but fixable. This! That's worse that the costume and Spider-Man joining the Avengers combined. I hope Mark Millar develops rectal warts on his tongue.

3. The REAL origin of Wolverine - AGAIN, Wolverine is character who is based in the fact that he doesn't remember his past. If you change that, you change the whole character. I don't even know what the story is about because I refuse to buy it.

More later

2 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talking to the guy who owns the local shop here, and we came to same conclusion about the Civl War story line. This is something that Marvel will not simply be able to "undo" like they did with the Clone story...

I don't know what they were thinking. Spiderman's secret identity always being on the verge of being "reveled" was a big part of the Spideman story line. Now they have taken that away.

Think about the leverage the Norman Osborn just lost. Or Eddie Brock - even though he is supposedly dead, or not -, and the few other villians who have discovered his identity over the years. It doesn't make any sense to do this.

On a side note, have you been reading the 52 series? It's been pretty good.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

I haveread the first two. . .I have the others but haven't had a chance to read them yet.

Now, I'm waiting until I get the chance to read the 4 or 5 that I'm behind all at once.

It is very good so far. I hope it can hold up for 52 weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home