Saturday, June 10, 2006

Movie Review!

Okay, have you ever watched a movie that you liked and just weren't sure that you could recommend it. This is one of those movies.

Mirrormask is a movie by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean. Neil is known for his comicbook writing, most notably DC's Sandman. However, he also has several novels. He recently wrote a young readers book called Coraline (which was excellent) and two children's books "The Wolves In the Walls and The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish. My son likes both of those as well.

Mirrormask is by far the weirdest movie that I have seen in a long time. It would probably be excellent if you were stoned. The only way that I can describe it is a mixture of his Coraline book and the movie Return to Oz.

It's PG, but my son and my nephew were asleep within a half hour (or it caused them to have a seizure).

I got it on Netflix. I recommend the movie if you are up for something that is VERY odd and very different.

3 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'm with the kids on this one. I might watch it if it was on tv, but I doubt I'd rent it.

The book titles are interesting. I'd like to look at the books if I could ever remember his name while I'm at a book store. I've tried writing a couple of children's books but I haven't gotten brave enough to send them out into the light of day!

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found the "Wolves in the Wall" book--forgot the goldfish book's name--and flipped thru it. Not enough time for much else. Very interesting the way it's presented. I meant to look at who illustrated it.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Dave McKean is the illustrator. The movie has the same illustration feel to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home