Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The La Mancha Handicapped!

I just got out of a class on Working With People With Disabilities. Apparently, I suffer from the handicap of Severe Education. And here is how you alienate people.

I received about a dozen emails for the training over the past two weeks. I deleted the first few and then I had to respond. The Class Official Title is “Tilting at Windmills: Awareness of Working w/ People w/ Disabilities”. So, I asked, “Why Tilting at Windmills? According to “Man of La Mancha”, Tilting at Windmills is a term that means “an exercise in futility”. Why are we saying that Working with the Disabled is an exercise in futility? I received no reply.

During the class, I was introduced to a new word: Conversate. WHAT??

Finally, I was told that since some handicapped people, like some women (their words, not mine), are offended if you hold the door for them. Therefore, you should ask before holding the door for someone. (You know what I feel like eating now? A Gun!) So, I should just NEVER be nice to people because someone looking to be offended my not appreciate it?

What a World!

NOTE: Still Working On My Meme.

3 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, just continue to be nice to them, and if they get offended, punch them in the sac. That's what I do.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Noted!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

I like when doors are held for me. Always have; always will.

I think I will make it my aim to offend people with kindness for the remainder of my 100 years.

I was telling my boys that there was a time when men stood up when a lady entered the room. They couldn't understand why. Geesh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home