Friday, June 15, 2007

Surf's Up!



Just got back!! The Fantastic Four - Rise of the Silver Surfer is now in Theaters. So, this morning before the Young Toughs got out of school, I took my son and nephew (because they finished up school yesterday) to see the first showing today (because the FIRST showing was at 11:59 last night).

I thought that it was really good. As much as Ghost Rider was okay (which I rented this week), the new FF movie showed that GR lacked something. I would set the gauge by whether you like the first on or not. Of course, the Silver Surfer is in it, but it had the same pace and high action when the action kicks in. I a big fan of the original and a fan of this. The Surfer was well done. Voiced by Morpheus, he sounded cool. . .although he never said "I believe Neo is the One!" Doom was great, but not in it a whole lot. I think Doom was lost on the kids because he wasn't in the armor for most of it (because GOD FORBID the actors didn't show their faces . . .this goes for you too CHIKLAS).

Although short (1:38), I wasn't disappointed.

There is a scene which was briefly in the trailer that . . .I would think would rule out a SKRULL movie. The next one should have the Submariner which could be pretty cool. Although sending them to the Negative Zone to fight Annihilus and Blastaar. That or an all out Frightful Four battle (of course you would have to replace Sandman. . . or would you???)

No Spoilers, but I will say it was the best appearance by Stan Lee.

The redid the Thing a little and gave him a little more brow....well done there (in my best Izzard voice)

Thanks to Alan Davis for the picture above, although when it comes to the FF, I always preferred this one:

5 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day, DL!

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched GR last night. What was the deal with the Caretaker being Carter Slade as some 100 year old ghost Ghost Rider? Hated that. Would have much preferred a tiny Dr. Strange cameo. That would have been wicked kewl.

I liked (most of) the "Easy Rider" references, except for flicking the bird under the bridge. That one went W-A-Y too far in terms of paying homage and was totally out of character for Zanathos. Casting Peter Fonda as Mephisto was bloody-freakin'-brilliant!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

Carter Slade was the original Ghost Rider from the old Marvel Western Comics, so I kinda liked that. He wasn't one fire, he was pretty cool. Better than Rawhide Kid anyway.

I'll post a picture of Carter Slade.

The movie was okay. My son now wants to be Ghost Rider. When your son wants to grow up to be a demon spawn, you either did something right, or really really wrong.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

That Sue Storm pic is FABULOUS!!!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Saw it a few days ago. It was very well done, and Jess Alba is smoking hot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home