Thursday, March 22, 2007

A DOUBLE HEADER!!

Yesterday was Great!! It was actually a triple header.

I took the day off from work. In the morning, Mrs. Deathlok and I were invited to a special breakfast at my daughter’s school. She received a “SPOTLIGHT ON . .” award at school. The award is a monthly award given to one student from each year. From the entire Freshman class, she was picked for the award for Dedication to the School, Good Grades (Honor Roll) and a cheery disposition towards the teacher and her fellow students. Sure, in my day they had an award for that, too. It was called the “Get your Ass Kicked After School” award. Not only that, but the breakfast was good too. . . . .and free! Needless to say, I was very, very proud.

In the afternoon, we cashed in on our Christmas present, a matinee of SPAMALOT. I was looking forward to the play, fully expecting a play version of the Holy Grail movie. I was kinda the Holy Grail, but it added a lot of new stuff and sprinkled a lot of little Flying Circus seasoning with a dash of Life of Brian. Anyone who is a Python fan should get out and see this. Oddly enough, the audience was 75% elderly. . . .say 70+. I found that extremely odd for a play based on a show that they (a) never watched or heard of or (b) yelled at their kids for watching.


In the evening, after driving home to feed the kids and get them situated, we wisked back to Philadelphia to see the Hoodoo Gurus. I couldn’t resist. The only other time that I remember the Gurus being in the Philadelphia area was in the late 80s. I was dating a girl who happened to plan some bullshit limo ride to pick her sister up at the airport (eh….what?) the same night the Gurus were at the former club the Chestnut Cabaret. Opening that night were the Connells. Two bands that I really like (one that I love) in one venue. Yeah, I’m drinking in a limo! If I find the rewind. . . . . . .
Anyway, the University of Pennsylvania’s radio station WXPN has a great little venue called the World Café. You can find reference to it in Deathlok (and the Wyatt) blogs under Richard Butler. The show was INCREDIBLE!! Despite the lashing that I will take, I will stick my neck out and say that it was better than the Psychedelic Furs concert. CAVEAT: I’ve never seen the Gurus and have seen the Furs 6 or 7 times. The Hoodoo’s played a best of set and covered all the hits. Well, I should say all hits. It’s not all the hits because they could have played a few more hours and still not got to them all.

In my old age, I was thinking, how great is it that they came out; rocked for about 2 hours and I was still home shortly after 11:00 and in bed. I feel like I need Geratol. You can find many selection of the Hoodoo Gurus at RadioHidebound.

5 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Senior discount day?

Congrats to the daughter--she must take after her mother! heh

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

What an awesome day! :) Good for you!

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats and all that, but with apologies to Bill Maher, NEW RULE: Whenever there is a cool gig coming to Philly, give the gnome a smidge of notice so he can take a road trip. No Gurus for D.C. and I would have loved to see them (for the first time!).

Were there lots of Rickenbackers slung low and loud?

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Deathlok said...

There was! There was!!

Unfortunately, I gave the notice that I had. I just happen to be listening to the radio in the car, which, with my new MP3 player, I rarely do anymore.

Further, when I'm home or at work, I do the Hidebound Shuffle.

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and we truly appreciate your listening, kibitzing and proseltyzing (well, it should be a word if it isn't). I guess I was just feeling a little jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home