Friday, March 21, 2008



Last night I attended the Holy Thursday Mass. I was kinda obligated to go because it was required of my CCD students as part of their preparation for Confirmation. At least I don't have to teach on Sunday. On Wednesday, I received an email from the head of the Pastoral Council asking for Council members to volunteer for the feet washing ceremony during the Mass. The 12 then go put and wash the feet of anyone in the congregation that wants to participate.

for those of you that don't know, during Holy Thursday Service, there is a reenactment of Jesus washing the feet of the twelve Apostles.

I, being smarter than the average bear, reply back that I would love to participate but due to my hand injury I am unable to help. This is quickly replied to with a message that says, "We usually do it in groups of three, so we can work around your cast issue, if you are still interested." Dag! "Sure, I'm in!"

So I get there and Mass begins as normal. As part of the Gospel, we select 12 go up on the Altar and the Monsignor washes one foot from each of the 12. We then, take the pitcher, basin and towels to stations in the Church and offer the same to the rest. Despite, not wanting to do this, it was AWESOME. No doubt people's feet are disgusting!! However, what we were doing was much more important than what we were doing. I felt great. Afterward, I stayed after and helped strip the Altar in preparation for today, Good Friday.

It was a moving experience that I look forward to next year.

1 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Blogger Sezme said...

No matter our status in life, we are all to serve each other humbly. Until we see it in practice, even in a ceremonial sense, I think it is lost on us.

I've come to a point in my life where I am just tired of all the bickering and judging of each other. Since we all have our flaws and areas we need to improve, we are no different from each.

Think of what it meant in Middle-eastern society to touch and wash someone's feet.

Sometimes to do things that seem as the "dirty" work is when we learn the most.

Sometimes when I really don't want to do something some big lessons are learned.

Hope your holiday is restful. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home