Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Gary Gygax Goes Below -10 Points


Gary Gygax Dies At 69

I've received several emails about the passing over Gary Gygax, the creator of Dungeons and Dragons.

Wyatt sent me an email about it, as did several people that I play D&D with. Wyatt loves to ridicule my playing the game almost as much as he riducules my Irish Patch Work Hat. I also happened upon a link to Wyatt's blog which took me here:
DND Law School & Life

Who would have thought that Wyatt would have to hyperlinks about D&D on his site. The above site had a great post about the man. My friend Exilian posted this (and I link it here with his permission) I thought this summed up the feeling of D&D's core following very nicely.

Exilian's Thoughts

Personally, I didn't grow up with the game. I knew of the game and knew people that played. I even rolled up a character back in the late 80s, but never "got into it". My wife and I were asked to join a game a few years ago as a means of getting out of the house. We took the couple up on it. It was fun. Even my wife found it enough fun to stick with it and is still playing. Today, we are playing at our house and the, other than the DM (Dungeon Master) it's a completely different crowd. We have made a lot of new friends over the years. . . all because of the game.

Gary is a genius for inventing the game and the way of life that it has become for a lot of people.

The bottom line is that it's a game and people that don't know what it's like, don't want to know and refuse to release their tight grip on their preconceived notions of what the game is. The game is great if you have the right people (and by right people, I mean a group of people that you enjoy hanging out with). I've played with people who took the game (and themselves)way too serious and that was not fun at all. Most D&D gamers are very knowledgeable in the game and its inner wrokings. I prefer to play "from the hip". It makes the game more fun.

Between the game, the companionship, the food and drinks, I look forward to meeting every other Friday night.

I am convinced (not that this would ever happen), that if Wyatt and his crew got together for a game one night, they would have a blast. You can tailor the game fpr your needs. I have always thought that a D&D Police training session would be cool. Instead of Elves, Orcs, and Humans, you would substitute, detectives, snipers, and forensics, etc. Instead of Goblins and Trolls amd Cobols, you would substitute, crack dealers, murderers and rapists. Same game, different perspective.

God Bless You Gary and God's Speed.

2 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger grimjack said...

You know what suprised me about him? He was married with 6 kids. The ultimate nerd hero

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel honored for two reasons:

1. That you felt what I said was worth sharing.

2. That you call me a friend.

Thank you.

Here's to hoping I say more noteworthy things.

-Exilian-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home