Wednesday, April 30, 2008
I was saying Boo-Meme!
And I always liked JT and his sense of humor. . . .until now. I've been tagged with the dreaded meme. The criteria for this particular one is as follows:
1) Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2) Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3) Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4) Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
2. I think I did something like this before but can't find the energy to go back and see which tidbits of Deathlok insight I may have previously bequeathed up my reader.
I. Since RT and JT both talked about their cars, that seems like a good place to start. My first car was a 1970 Ford Maverick (with a '71 grill attached). It had a loose steering box and would stall out if you didn't put it in neutral when you stopped. I had to have a portable radio in it, because the two radios that I installed shorted out. Her name was Christine. Best car ever.
II. When I 16, my brother Mark bet me $100 that I would smoke before I turned 21 years old. (Everyone in my family has or does smoke). I put that $100 towards the purchase of the Maverick.
III. I have not (and will never) see Saturday Night Fever or GREASE.
IV. When I was a kid, the inside of my bedroom door was covered in stickers. COVERED! I had Wacky Package stickers and any other sticker that I could collect. I soon got into a hobby of calling and mailing companies and asking if they could send me company stickers! The one’s that I remember distinctly were a big orange “flower power” sticker with the Esso (now Exxon) tiger in the center and Matt Slapp (a local car dealer) sticker.
I would love to still have that door.
V. Wyatt's Meme mentioned that he is a movie knowledge guru. Although I am pretty good, I am more of a cartoon guru. Especially cartoon and shows from the 60s and early 70s. I even own bootleg copies of Liddsville and Lancelot Link Secret Chimp.
VI. Technically, I am a Federal Agent. I am an agent of the Federal Government, thus. . . .
VII. Weird Fact: My Wife Tolerates Me. . . .So Far!
3. I won't tag 7 people. I will go and tag:
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
The La Mancha Handicapped!
I just got out of a class on Working With People With Disabilities. Apparently, I suffer from the handicap of Severe Education. And here is how you alienate people.
I received about a dozen emails for the training over the past two weeks. I deleted the first few and then I had to respond. The Class Official Title is “Tilting at Windmills: Awareness of Working w/ People w/ Disabilities”. So, I asked, “Why Tilting at Windmills? According to “Man of La Mancha”, Tilting at Windmills is a term that means “an exercise in futility”. Why are we saying that Working with the Disabled is an exercise in futility? I received no reply.
During the class, I was introduced to a new word: Conversate. WHAT??
Finally, I was told that since some handicapped people, like some women (their words, not mine), are offended if you hold the door for them. Therefore, you should ask before holding the door for someone. (You know what I feel like eating now? A Gun!) So, I should just NEVER be nice to people because someone looking to be offended my not appreciate it?
What a World!
NOTE: Still Working On My Meme.
Monday, April 28, 2008
It's In The Works!
According to IMDB, Internet Movie Database (see sidebar for link to IMDB):
Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro has agreed to spend the next four years in New Zealand, where he will work with Peter Jackson, who is producing the two-part The Hobbit prequels to Lord of the Rings. In a statement released by New Line Cinema, Del Toro, who was nominated for a best original screenplay Oscar last year for Pan's Labyrinth, which he also directed, said that he felt "blessed" to have been chosen to direct the two films. "Contributing to the Lord of the Rings' legacy is an absolute dream come true," he said.
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!
Having Jackson back on the project is a great relief. Without him, the franchise was doomed. And not "DOOMED!", with an implied wink (inside Frisky Dingo joke). HAve Del Toro on the team is a beautiful move. If you haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth, go (right now) and see it.
Although, I have to back burner my exitement until after IRON MAN this Friday, I will be preparing the camping gear for when the HOBBIT hits theaters.
More Movie Watch Titles:
SIN CITY 2
Friday, April 25, 2008
Flyers/Canadians - Game 1
After watching the officiating of that game last night, I was saying Boo-urns.
Horrible. I was at Game 6 of last series and the Flyers squandered a 2 goal lead and I hated them for it. Last night, they played well (not perfect but well) and won the game and the officials stole it from them. I hate the officials for that. Given a choice, I will take the former.
I'll even give them the penalty. I knew a penalty was coming anyway and live it looked like a penalty. However, there is NO WAY that the Montreal reviewed goal should have counted.
Surprisingly enough, the WAR ROOM responsible for reviews is in CANADA.
In other news, the Phantoms advanced after a 5 Overtime victory last night. Well Done There. . . .
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
And Politics As Well. . . .
Eddie Izzard In Politics
Yahoo! News reports that crossdressing comedian Eddie Izzard is considering a career in politics.
I am a big fan of Eddie and think that he would be a better candidate than Hillary or Obama. . . .but what do I know about politics.
I do know that Eddie is starting a comedy tour soon. I'll be looking for that.
The BIG question is what Eddie is Parlament getting:
Eddie will be in Philadelphia in two weeks and the only seats available are further awy than the ones in my house. Hopefully, something will open up.
Round 1 - The Playoff Pool
The First Round of the Playoff is over. the Flyers are still alive and trying to rest up for tomorrow night. They couldn't have had them play Friday Night??? Nice.
The results of the First Round went out to all those in the Playoff Pool and all are aghast that your's truly is in the pole position (insert joke here). TED, a pool entry by Wyatt's brother-in-law, Fish is nippin' at my heels. RILEY FAN is sitting in the 3rd spot. Of course, another Fish entry, N&K CROWE is vying for the Palys Award. The Palys Award is the award given to LAST PLACE. . .the prize. . .your money back. The Palys Award is named after Tom Palys, a guy who used to participate in the pool who came in last 3 years in a row. Thus instituting the last place award.
However, there is still a lot of hockey to play and it is still anybody's game. . .well almost anybody's game.
the Detroit Fans are holding their own (insert joke here) but I will have once again proven my point when the AVS bounce them onto the golf course.
UPDATE: Tonight the Flyer’s begin their 7 game stint against the Montreal Canadians. The Flyer’s have a VERY poor record against the HABS. However, if you look at their team, there is a list of things to give Philly fans hope:
1. Carey Price is very young and has little playoff experience. His backup is Jaroslav Halak. His name only looks like Hasak. Although Price is a great goalie, and the HABS dumped Huet (where do I know that guy from), I think the Flyers have the edge in goal tending depth.
2. Andrei Markov is incredible and will be a force in this series on defense. Other than that, their defense consists of the over the hill gang Hamrlik and Brisbois and I guy named Ryan O'Byrne (you know he’s gonna be drunk during the game). They have a player in Mark Streit, but somehow he has been moved up the the LW from defense (which is sad the GIMP came in 10th using a winger for Defense in the fantasy league). The Flyer’s are benching the likes of Jaroslav Modry. Although young in parts, Coburn and Jones are playing well. Hatcher has really stepped it up and has played incredible the last few games. Through in Smith and Kukkanen, the Flyer’s D-Men are looking VERY Good for this series.
3. Up in front they have Saku Koivu (I’m a Koivu fan) and Kovalev (who has played awesome this year) and newcomer Tomas Plekanec. Other than that, they have a player in Christopher Higgins, but the rest are just support cast. This is where the difference will be. Koivu is better than Briere. If Prospal can step up his play to compete with Kovalev, it then becomes a battle of the supporting cast.
4. Finally, The Canadians are French. .. . . .Come On! I had to say it!
I’ll be taping LOST tonight in a show of having my priorities straight . . .not STREIT).
Can’t wait for the puck to drop tonight. GO FLYERS!!
DOING MY PART! During the first series, my wife brought out our Flyer’s plastic “popcorn” window decorations. Due to our schedule (and having to paint over the 88 and 10 on the decorations, they never made it past the computer table. As I went to Game 6 (with Priest in tow), I couldn’t figure out why we lost. When I got home the “popcorns” were up in the window. I went upstairs and said “That’s Great! Have them out of the window before 7:00 tomorrow. They came down and we took the series. They are now staying on the computer table until the end of the playoffs. . . . or until the Flyers exit said post season.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Pros & Cons
Along with all the Flyers and other hockey excitement this weekend, the family spent Saturday in NYC. Actually the boys day out turned into the Deathlok's go to the Big Apple. It all stemmed from a generous gift from the owner of my favorite comic store Jester's Playhouse in South Jersey. Rich had two tickets to the convention and couldn't make it, so he gave them to me for my son and I. The convention, the exception of the San diego convention, is one of the biggest ones of the year. the WizardCon in Philadelphia is nice but nothing in size to this. . .and I had never been. My main goal was to get a picture of Grave Park just to piss off Wyatt but she was a no show. Regardless, my son got a lot of great pictures.
Unlike these two (Domino and Black Cat)
many people at the convention have no problem with cross marketing (after all it is New York). for example, The X-Men's Rogue was hanging out with DC's Superman
The Anime version of Superman and Green Lantern were giving weight loss tips to Spider-man
not pictured together, but even Storm and her date Hellboy made a fine couple
Of course, Batman's Rogue Gallery can always be seen hanging together
and even though Harley Quinn was touching up her makeup, she had time for Reilly to sit for a picture.
Although Modern Batman was slying solo, Classic Batman remembered to bring along Batgirl.
Supergirl was friendly enough but her costume was missing something. . . .like ENOUGH CLOTH
I was waiting for the planets to drop out of orbit. YIKES!
Yes, from the world's tallest Jawa
to the world's shortest Hulk (or is that Little Sprout)
Just to compare. . . .
and of course
Finally, a special treat for my son, the Last Airbender was making his way from the Convention floor. we followed and got a very candid picture.
Do Or DIE!!!
this may be my only chance to post a picture of the Stanley Cup with reference to a Flyers game this year so. . . . .
I didn't know what went wrong. I got tickets for last night's game. . .brought the Priest. . . .wore the nick Fotiu jersey. But they lost. they played horrible and lost.
Then I figured it out. my wife has been planning on hanging our Flyer's window decorations up all week. Last night, I came home and they were up. I said " They must be taken down by 7:00 tonight. I just removed them.
Friday, April 18, 2008
About Last Night. ..
Here are the highlights of the Fantastic Effort from the Flyer's last night in Game 4.
I have tickets for Game 6 or Game 1 of the next series. . . .Let's go Game 1.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Saturday, April 12, 2008
The Six-Word Memoir.
Wyatt did a meme and didn’t tag anyone. Dorkelina took it and ran. After reading her meme. I decided to play. Here is how it goes. . .
the six-word memoir; If I find a picture that seems appropriate (other than Pinchy. . .I get too many complaints about that one), I'll post it. .
Contents Under Pressure. Do Not Puncture!
So, you wanna play?
1. Write your own six word memoir.
2. Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want.
3. Link to the person that tagged you in your post and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere.
4. Tag at least five more blogs with links. (or not)
5. Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play.
Sure the Flyers stopped playing in the third. Sure they gave up an early goal in the third. sure they need to play better next game. That being said, the refs chose the winner of the game last night. To not blow the whistle when Thoresen was OBVIOUSLY hurt is ridiculous. Real hurt, not Darcy Tucker hurt.
According to TSN (see sidebar for link):
WASHINGTON - Flyers left wing Patrick Thoresen was taken to the hospital for tests after getting hit in the groin by a shot during Philadelphia's 5-4 loss to Washington on Friday night.
"He's going to the hospital to get an ultrasound done on his testicles. It's bad enough they may have to remove one," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "Right now, we're not sure how serious it is, but there's a chance he may need surgery."
Thoresen blocked Mike Green's shot with about 6 1/2 minutes left in the game, then dropped to the ice, writhing in pain. Moments later, Washington scored to tie the game 4-4.
"Obviously, I'd have liked to see a whistle," Flyers coach John Stevens said.
Thoresen was helped off the ice and taken to the locker
If you watch the video (currently not available on Youtube), you can see that Biron is distracted by the injury. WHERE WAS THE WHISTLE!! Just prior to the post season, the Flyers were playing and the ref got hit with the puck and they blew the whistle immediately. If that were Ovechkin or Crosby on the ice that play would have been blown dead immediately.
If I had to have my testicle removed after that, I would bring it to the next game and throw it at the ref and say "Did you see that?"
For the next game, the Flyers need to bring up this guy.
I liked this clip because:
a) it has The Animal kicking ass.
b) it showed me that Frank was in the league for a long time before the Phantoms (Fighting against the Nordiques??)
c) Tony Twist gets his ass kicked. The same Tony Twist who couldn't make a living in hockey so he sued Todd McFarlane for using his name in the Spawn comic book.)
In other hockey news the WILD won a game last night. Well done there. The Predators lost but looked competitive. Nice job. . .Go Preds!
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Help With The Playoffs
If you need help for your playoff pool or just want to know who will win the hockey playoffs, go to the link about and look to the right. You can see a computer simulation of who will win the Stanley Cup or . . .better yet.. . .watch Maggie the monkey pick the winners of the first round.
I was sitting her today listening to my MP3 player and a file come up with the ENTIRE album of Styx's Pieces of Eight (who put THAT in there).
As I was listening to it, not only did I realize that it is a really good album ,but it occurred to me that the art of listening to an album is lost. It's a shame. Hearing songs is one thing, but I forgot how much I missed listening to albums that were made to be listened to in their entirety. Popping on the old big bulky headphones and letting the music take you away.
My Top 5 albums that should be listened to in this fashion (from my collection)
5. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasure Dome
4. Styx - Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight
3. Roxy Music - Avalon. . . and Flesh and Blood
2. The Cars Debut Album. . . .and Candy-O
1. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and the Wall (Okay Okay! Welcome to the Machine and Animals too)
This, of course, doesn't count the various Windham Hill music and various other instrumental music.
Thursday, April 03, 2008
I thought that I would steal a page from RTs book and post a few non sequitur ponderings. . .
1. With a poorly written song combined with a extremely untalented singer, why is Peter Tork's Auntie Grizelda so catchy.
2. Jon Corzine is the Anti-Christ!! How the people of New Jersey haven't risen up like an angry mob with fire and pitchforks and stormed his mansion like Frankenstein's Castle is beyond me. Corzine. . . .Mob. . .ironic that both of those words showed up together.
3. Of Yahoo's top FEATURED Stories this morning, I am more interested in the Elephant who was taught to paint his self portrait that who was eliminated from American Idol. Supposedly, there is a hot, tattooed Irish chick on Idol and I still can't bring myself to watch that show.
4. If Jodie Foster was going to replace Charles Bronson in a remake of DEATHWISH (see: The Brave One), she should have at least beat someone with a sock full of dimes. Watching it, brought on my own deathwish.
5. Wrestling is not a real sport. It's fake. Hockey is a real sport. Unless the game has Sidney Crosby in it. Then the refs have a script. He's not even the best player on his team.
6. Obama and Clinton were in Philadelphia this week and neither stopped to get a cheesesteak. . . with or without Wyatt.
7. The Pulitzer Prize this year should go to the guy that thought to offer Chocolate covered Marshmallow Peeps this year for Easter.